It's so critical!


Wednesday 20 November 2013

Pasta Mia - Washington, DC

RETURN? NO

What a disaster-and-a-half. No, seriously, why is this pasta restaurant still in business? A few friends and I ventured into this weirdly-shaped, dark, dirty, and dingy-looking space. I am not exaggerating when I say that the entire restaurant smells like an old frying pan that hasn't been washed in 20 years. Despite these warning signs, we took a seat and were immediately informed that there was a $16 per person minimum charge rule. Pretty annoying, especially considering pasta is just flour and water.

One friend ordered the seafood ravioli in rose sauce, and the other, cheese ravioli in tomato sauce. I, like a fool, ordered the gnocchi in pesto. While my friends' dishes tasted alright (though heavy, naturally), my plate was a green, oily, gloppy mess. First, the good: the gnocchi tasted homemade, were bitingly chewy and meaty. The pesto sauce, however... was disgusting. The pesto itself was bitter, and there was so much oil in the plate that the liquid went halfway up some of the flat-lying gnocchi. I just couldn't eat it. It was inedible. Had I finished it, I would have vomited (no joke!)

Yes, some dishes seem (and are) tasty, but for a place that charges at least $16 per head (with a typical pasta dish a whopping $17-19), it's just not worth it to take the chance on a place like this. Why should I, when there are better restaurants at a cheaper price? I don't shy away from spending money on good food, but the keyword is "good."

Obviously, I hated my dish. Even though my friends enjoyed theirs for the most part, we were all left asking ourselves, "Did we really just pay over $20 for mediocre pasta?"

And oh yes, I saw a cockroach climbing the wall next to where I sat. Yay!

ADDRESS: 1790, Columbia Road NW, Washington, DC

No comments:

Post a Comment