It's so critical!


Sunday 12 January 2014

Frite Alors! Montreal, Quebec

RETURN? Yes

This small chain is a favourite little haunt of mine. You'll know I'm with an out-of-town guest whenever I am there, because I like to take my guests to the touristic Latin Quarter and have them feast on a poutine, which is what I would probably request for a last meal. And of course, I enjoy carrying out my usual pompous airs when I describe the beauty that is this Quebec staple. Outsiders just can't understand. This dish will unite all of us Quebecers, from the Anglos to the immigrants to the Natives, and yes, to the staunchest separatists among us. Your demise is near, Pauline Marois... sleep with one eye open.

Anyways, the decor of this place isn't much to write home about. It's dingy, smells like oil, with plain wooden tables and  chairs. Honestly, I doubt these guys' primary concern is to seduce with their decor. They pretty much just want you to eat and get out. Fine by me.

The menu is pretty varied which some burgers, sandwiches, and fries with different mayonnaise-based sauces (all delicious, trust me), but my companion and I were there for the poutine. Thankfully, my friend chose to go with the Frite Alors!, which was my secret choice. It's pretty simple, containing only green peppers, mushrooms, and bacon. In other words, they are ingredients that won't overshadow the basic structure and flavour of the poutine.


                                                           The Frite Alors! poutine

We got the large. Portion size was generous, sauce was generous and not too thick and/or heavy, and the cheese was mostly definitely generous. The bacon provided smokiness, the mushrooms, unctuous delicious, and the vegetables carried the dish with their lightness. All in all, a win.


ADDRESS: 1710, St Denis, Montreal, QC

No comments:

Post a Comment