It's so critical!


Saturday 16 May 2015

Shorty's Pub - New York, NY

RETURN? Maybe to watch a sports game (who am I kidding, I don't watch that garbage)

"This the best philly cheesesteak in NYC u guyz!" is what several of my friends, and plenty of Yelpers, have claimed. Okay then, I thought, I love cheese, I love steak, I don't hate Philadelphia (cream cheese), so why not give it a shot? How bad could it be?

I found myself one lone Friday night, with nowhere to go and no one to see. Instead of crying into my Heinie Light (listen, gotta maintain the waistline), I figured, Eff it. Let me order that cheesesteak and see what this is all about.

The menu offers either a chicken or beef cheesesteak, with a choice of cheese (American, Monterey Jack, or Provolone.) I opt for the beef Provolone.

I'm waiting...

Waiting...

Still waiting...

..And finally, she emerges:

 Philly Cheesesteak with Provolone

You guys, it was dry. The flavor was nice, don't get me wrong. French baguette had been used, it had a decent crunch upon first bite and the inside of it was pillowy and chewy. The meat was good, too: it had some fried onions, and was clearly well-spiced with a "kick," my guessing being cayenne, black pepper, salt (obvs), probably some garlic powder... but something was missing. A certain je-ne-sais-quoi, you might say. It wasn't dripping with oil, the cheese flavor and amount was "conservative" and it just wasn't a real philly cheesesteak that I have come to know and love. It was a philly cheesesteak-like sandwich, and it would satisfy your craving in a pinch, but I'm sad to report that it's just not the real deal.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sandwich, decent sandwich. If you happen to be at Shorty's and you're hungry, go ahead and order it. But heed my fair warning: Cheesesteak, it is not. 

ADDRESS: 1678, 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10128

No comments:

Post a Comment