It's so critical!


Thursday 7 May 2015

Wa Jeal - New York, NY


RETURN? Yes 

Every week I live in anticipation of Wa Jeal Wednesdays. Now, what's that, you ask? It's simply the only day of the week when I allow myself to order in. As you can probably tell by the name, I always occasionally opt for Wa Jeal Sichuan Chili House. This place is the bomb diggity. It's not perfect, mind you, but it gets the job done and it gets it done well.

I always sometimes (as I'm a very serious food blogger, and not a ravenous, stubborn, childish Wednesday glutton) order stir-fried chicken with spice roasted chili. The price is definitely right (considering it's smack-dab in Manhattan) and it's usually delivered within 20 minutes.

Once the delivery man-lady-boy-thing hands me that warm brown bag I can't even think straight. A fully-outfitted clown could deliver it and I wouldn't notice. When I de-lid the round plastic bowl, this is what I see in all its oily glory:


                                                                   Isn't she lovely?

O that mind-and-mouth-numbing Sichuan peppercorn! You have become my tastiest addiction.

Mind you, this dish has its shortcomings. First of all, the chicken is always overcooked to the point of being dry and rubbery. I'm ashamed to admit that I love my meats dry and chewy, but I know and understand why the average person would find it unappetizing. Also, I don't know why they use so much oil, but the bottom of the plate is replete with nasty, smelly, slimy, chili-infused, heavenly, blessed oil that I may or may not mix in with my rice.

I love you, Wa Jeal Wednesdays.

ADDRESS: 1588 2nd Avenue, New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment